Sunday 17 July 2016

Dunwich Dynamo 2016 photos

A great ride as usual, and because I'd slept on the beach, I was in the perfect place for some early morning photos of the finishers. If you were at the beach by 5am, there may be a photo or two of you in here.

The tradition is to have a dip in the sea when you reach Dunwich beach, and there seemed to be a lot more takers than usual this year, probably on account of the glorious weather.  Until this morning, I've always considered Dunwich beach to be one of the most inhospitable places.  Every finish we've been to has been horribly windy, and often quite rainy too.  This morning however, it was very still, not even a bit of breeze, and quite pleasantly warm.

I didn't get a lot of sleep ... cyclists starting arriving about 1.30, and I hadn't managed to sleep before then.  After riders started arriving, it wasn't possible to sleep well, because walking over the pebbles is very noisy, and well, when they get off their bikes, they walk.  I'd parked as far away from the Flora cafe as I could, to minimise any noise from arriving cyclists, but all the cyclists wanting to have a bit of a kip on the beach walked past me.

I got up and started taking photos when Nick arrived, around 3.40am, and we eventually left Dunwich at about 6am, stopping for breakfast with Nick's mom on the way home, and getting home a bit after 10.


I just love the way the sun is highlighting the drinks bottles on the bike.
The tradition is to have a dip in the sea when you arrive in Dunwich,  Lots more people than usual doing it this year, probably because it was such a lovely morning.
I'd be clutching my derriere too, if I'd just 'passed' a bunch of bikes ;)

I didn't create this Strava heatmap, but its brilliant, so it's in.  Reminds me of lightening.


No comments:

Post a Comment